I have a love/hate relationship with routine. I don't get into routines on purpose, and the idea of routine feels dull, but I've come to realize that when I do have routine, things just flow a lot more easily. Despite not having much going on, I haven't had much of a routine in my life since the beginning of the pandemic, and I think it was starting to get to me.
Back in December when I was trying to kickstart more healthy eating habits, I started making breakfast in the morning. A slice of toast, smush some avocado on top, and I quickly scrambled up some eggs (some for me, some for Penny) to put on top of that. A couple shakes of Everything Bagel seasoning, some Cholula, and done. It takes maybe 5 minutes and I sit down at my counter every morning with my food on a plate, my iPad, and I have a proper breakfast, placemat and all. I've had the same breakfast nearly every day since.
It's a known constant. I don't have to think about it. Wake up, get a slice of Dave's Bread from the freezer, grab the same pan I use every morning, start the toast before I crack the eggs, scramble, avocado, plate, sit, eat. It's the easiest part of my day. Now I'm trying to figure out how to expand and to put a few more pockets of "known constants" in my day.
This weekend I went through my work schedule, as I do every weekend in an effort to find some balance and plan my week. This time, though, I realized a few things: 1) I don't have a single day of the week that's predictable in terms of what hours I'm going to have to work. 2) Where I used to hold one day a week for early calls and one day a week for late calls, most of my days have expanded to have before- or after- hours meetings every single day. Sometimes both.
The whole Twitch streaming thing has been fun. I've enjoyed the creative outlet of it. I've met some new people that I've been chatting with or joining streams with regularly, and on the whole, it's been such a perfect complement to my day. Just like in the real world when we used to socialize in-person, the lack of predictability in my schedule means I'm effectively back to the place that I didn't enjoy in the Before Times - being the person who couldn't commit to anything more than a week out because they didn't know what their work schedule was going to be.
I'm not OK with being back in that place. I know how badly it burned me out last time and I'm working to catch it early this time. I reworked as much of my schedule as I could to go back to some predictability. This week will be the first test.
Wins for the week:
- I made it through January with no candy. I had a few pieces on Feb 1 to celebrate, but now I'm on my lördagsgodis schedule. This weekend was my first Candy Saturday. I didn't indulge as much as I expected I would, though when Sunday rolled along I realized I didn't take as much advantage of it as I should have. I think I'm going to make a little bowl or jar of the candy I want to stash away for the weekend so I have something to look forward to.
- I streamed 5 times, mostly shorter streams and trying to debug my Switch setup. It's getting slightly better.
- I found some fun streams and communities to join. It reminds me a lot of my very early internet days and online communities. I wish I'd found it sooner.
- I ended up having to move a workshop I was hosting at work to a different day, meaning that day was pretty much wide open and it just so happened to be the day after Presidents' Day. I'd been looking for a day off, so I figured it was meant to be and booked it. No plans, but I'm looking forward to the 4-day weekend.
- After spending like an hour trying to figure out what to order for dinner on Doordash Friday night and being super pleased with myself for having thought of it in advance and pre-ordering, 2 hour later I got the notification that the restaurant didn't accept my order. I was so frustrated, but upon diving back into Doordash to find a last-minute backup, I discovered a new restaurant in town. I decided to order from there and holy crap it was one of the most flavorful meals I've had in ages. Definitely adding it to my list of regulars.
Mehs for the week:
- I felt wiped by 3PM on Wednesday again.
- I messed up and thought I had multiple work meals last week, so I skipped my HelloFresh. Turns out it was only one.
- In the process of trying to figure out meals for this week, I decided to try CookUnity, but I forgot to cancel my HelloFresh order, so I have multiple meal services delivering this week. Oops.
- Because I didn't have my food situation sorted, I felt like I was kind of all over the place and disorganized all week.
Changes for next week:
- The new work schedule is going to be the major experiment this week. We'll see how difficult it is to maintain.
Goals for next week:
- Host my 3 planned streams.
- Find a place where I can get a pick-n-mix type candy assortment for next weekend.
- Get back on my planned meal game.
- Start to organize garden things and seed starting.
- Stay 'rona-free.